More and more, people are coming to realise that development, environment and sustainability are inextricably intertwined. To consider one without giving due regard to the other two parts, is to lay a foundation on sand. Sooner or later, the cracks appear and need to repaired, or the whole endeavour faces collapse. As the old saying goes, "Prevention is better (and cheaper) than cure".
And it's not like we don't know what we should be doing ....
- Ask First: A guide to respecting Indigenous heritage places and values "provides a practical guide for land developers, land users and managers, cultural heritage professionals and many others who may have an impact on Indigenous heritage. The title - Ask First - is the message of this book; that consultation and negotiation with Indigenous stakeholders is the best means of addressing Indigenous heritage issues. It is also the first, and simplest step that people need to take, and that is to put the subject on the agenda." Page has link to downloadable PDF.
- International Development Research Centre "Part of Canada's foreign affairs and development efforts, IDRC invests in knowledge, innovation, and solutions to improve the lives of people in the developing world. IDRC supports research in developing countries to create real and lasting change. This knowledge can be used as a tool for addressing pressing global challenges."
- The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) " Delivering the Knowledge to Act Share This The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is an independent think tank championing sustainable solutions to 21st century problems. Our mission is to promote human development and environmental sustainability."
- Mongabay New "News and inspiration from nature's frontline. Mongabay is a non-profit provider of conservation and environmental science news. A nonprofit environmental science and conservation news platform that produces original reporting in English, Indonesian, and Spanish by leveraging over 450 correspondents in some 50 countries. We are dedicated to evidence-driven objective journalism. Our main beats are forests, wildlife, oceans, and the conservation sector. We also undertake special reporting projects, which are deep dives on specific topics and geographies." Brilliant reporting and coverage. If the depressing news gets you down, check out their solutions topic stream for inspiration and hope.
- Overseas Development Institute "ODI is an independent, global think tank. Our vision is a sustainable and peaceful world in which every person thrives. We harness the power of evidence and ideas through research and partnership to confront challenges, develop solutions and create change.
- SolarAid "SolarAid is an international charity, founded in 2006 to combat poverty and climate change. We provide access to solar lights in Uganda, Malawi and Zambia to help catalyse solar markets and eradicate the kerosene lamp".
- Tanzania Online "is a gateway to information on development issues in Tanzania. It is a UNDP/UN, Government of Tanzania and Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF) initiative to address problems faced by Government officials, policy makers, private sector, civil society, donor community, researchers and academicians accessing information on development issues in Tanzania." Excellent resources, inlcuding a searchable database to local and interenational resources.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) "The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. We categorize our work into seven broad thematic areas: climate change, disasters and conflicts, ecosystem management, environmental governance, chemicals and waste, resource efficiency, and environment under review. In all of our work, we maintain our overarching commitment to sustainability. "
- World Bank "The World Bank Group works in every major area of development. We provide a wide array of financial products and technical assistance, and we help countries share and apply innovative knowledge and solutions to the challenges they face."
- World Trade Organisation Español Français."The World Trade Organization (WTO) deals with the global rules of trade between nations. Its main function is to ensure that trade flows as smoothly, predictably and freely as possible." Trade and Environment covers "issues relating to sustainable development, trade and the environment [that] have been discussed in the GATT and in the WTO for many years."
Conventions, Charters and Ethics
- The Biodiversity and Tourism Network “is a web-based platform established to foster dialogue between tourism practitioners and disseminate support for the implementation of the CBD Guidelines on Biodiversity and Tourism Development. The network was launched as a partnership with the World Tourism Forum for Peace and Sustainable Development in Porto Alegre in December 2007. The Network will not only serve as a repository for actionable information on implementing the guidelines, such as the User's Manual, but will also provide a virtual meeting point for members to capture, store and exchange knowledge to more effectively integrate biodiversity concerns within tourism strategies.”
- Convention on Biological Diversity "The Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) entered into force on 29 December 1993. It has 3 main objectives: The conservation of biological diversity, The sustainable use of the components of biological diversity and The fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising out of the utilization of genetic resources.” A densely ordered and informed site, covering everything from Rio 1992 through to Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety, Nagoya Protocol and more. Check the site map if you can't find what you're looking for.
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change "The UNFCCC secretariat (UN Climate Change) was established in 1992 when countries adopted the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). With the subsequent adoption of the Kyoto Protocol in 1997 and the Paris Agreement in 2015, Parties to these three agreements have progressively reaffirmed the secretariat's role as the United Nations entity tasked with supporting the global response to the threat of climate change. Since 1995, the secretariat is located in Bonn, Germany." See also original Full text of the Kyoto Protocol (HTML version)
- The Earth Charter Initiative "Earth Charter International (ECI) is comprised of the ECI Secretariat, its Education Center and the ECI Council. The ECI Secretariat, which is based at the United Nations-mandated University for Peace in Costa Rica, endeavours to promote the mission, vision, strategies, and policies adopted by the ECI Council. The Secretariat guides and liaises with efforts to bring the Earth Charter to the fields of education, youth, business, and religion, manages communications with the larger Earth Charter network. It promotes the use of the Earth Charter as an international soft law document."
- Earth Chart Mission: "The mission of Earth Charter International is to actively participate, in a systemic and integrated way, in the present transition to sustainable ways of living on the planet, founded on a shared ethical framework that includes respect and care for the community of life, ecological integrity, universal human rights, respect for diversity, social and economic justice, democracy, and a culture of peace."
- Environmental Ethics An old, but still comprehensive link list to the subject.
- UNEP - World Conservation Monitoring Centre "UN Environment World Conservation Monitoring Centre is a world leader in biodiversity knowledge. It works with scientists and policy makers worldwide to place biodiversity at the heart of environment and development decision-making to enable enlightened choices for people and the planet." Access analysis and reports, data and information, plus specialist online tools.
Governments and Organisations
- Earth Council Alliance "Our programs span the full spectrum of the sustainable development movement. The emphasis is on supporting pragmatic, results-oriented programs worldwide, and matching people, partners, and resources to support local, regional, and national initiatives. ECA will use the Earth Charter and Agenda 21 as historical baselines to measure and celebrate progress ."
- "The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together."
- "The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Our mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations." Check for stories, reports and initiatives at global and regional levels.
- UN Environment - Regional Office Africa "In order for Africa to reap the economic and social benefits inherent in this natural wealth, it is necessary to urgently address such issues as the management, economic and environmental impact of their sustainable use. Africa Office supports African governments to translate decisions and statements made on natural resources into practical actions and innovative solutions at regional, national and local levels for the benefit of their population. This will lead to wealth and job creation, revenue generation, food security, social equity and a healthy environment."
- "UN Environment's Asia and the Pacific Office is working to support prosperity, build resilience and boost resource efficiency across the region."
- "UN Environment's Europe Office is working to support prosperity, build resilience and boost resource efficiency across the region."
- See also UN Environment regions for Latin America and the Caribbean, and North America
- "UN Environment's West Asia Office supports healthy environments, clean air and water, and productive land for resilient and sustainable development."
- UNEP Tourism Search results for tourism related reports under the UN Environment web site.
- "EEA - European Environment Agency provides sound, independent information on the environment for those involved in developing, adopting, implementing and evaluating environmental policy, and also the general public. In close collaboration with the European Environmental Information and Observation Network (Eionet) and its 33 member countries, the EEA gathers data and produces assessments on a wide range of topics related to the environment."
- The Department of Environment and Energy "The Department designs and implements Australian Government policy and programs to protect and conserve the environment, water and heritage, promote climate action, and provide adequate, reliable and affordable energy."
- Global Development Research Center (GDRC) "The Global Development Research Center is an independent nonprofit think tank that carries out initiatives in the spheres of environment, urban, community, economy and information, and at scales that are effective."
- The Regional Environmental Center "Our mission is to contribute to transparency, sustainability and European integration, implementing projects that build resilience to climate change, promote clean energy solutions, champion sustainable mobility and strengthen environmental governance in Central and Eastern Europe and beyond. We fulfil our mission by promoting cooperation among governments, non-governmental organisations, businesses and other stakeholders, and by supporting the free exchange of information and public participation."
- UNESCO World Heritage Centre Everything you always wanted to know about World Heritage but didn't know where to find it. English, Français. "Heritage is our legacy from the past, what we live with today, and what we pass on to future generations. Our cultural and natural heritage are both irreplaceable sources of life and inspiration."
The Big Volcano Ecotourism Resource Centre (ERC) provides content free of charge, so that visitors, residents, businesses, students and teachers can access our resources.
Our site also includes advertising and affiliate links to products and services that you can buy online (at no extra cost to you).
If you visit a web site via an ad link, or make a purchase via an affiliate link, we get a small cut of the revenue. (Thank you.) By doing this, you help us to continue to deliver these resources to you, for free.
Development and Environment picks.