- Destination NSW Tourism Business Toolkit "The Tourism Business Toolkit is a resource designed for operators at every stage of their business, to help gain a better understanding of the tourism industry and develop sustainable tourism products."
- The SPTO Tourism Strategy Development Resources. "The SPTO Tourism Strategy Development Resources website aims to provide access to existing Tourism strategy tools and resources. The collation of this knowledge will aid the future development and planning of tourism strategy on a national and regional level. Users of this website are encouraged to submit new tools and resources and provide feedback on existing content."
- Includes The SPTO Tourism Toolkit and examples of past and current Tourism Strategies for South & Central Pacific, Caribbean, Asia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, New Caledonia, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tahiti, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, and more.
- Cultural heritage tourism "This electronic clearinghouse includes information provided by many different members of Partners in Tourism, a coalition of the national organizations and agencies with an interest in cultural heritage tourism. ... [The] site has been developed as a resource for organizations and individuals who are developing, marketing or managing cultural heritage tourism attractions or programs." US based with extensive resources including Cultural Heritage Toolkits.
- The Canadian Tourism Commision (CTC) has developed a series of tools for Canadian tourism businesses to help you in your efforts to attract travellers. These resources will help you to better understand your best customers and what they're looking for in a travel experience.
- Capricorn Enterprise Tourism Toolkits, A "practical resource for current and prospective tourism businesses [from] ... Capricorn Enterprise, recognised as the peak tourism organisation for the Capricorn Region within Central Queensland to promote the Capricorn region as a desirable holiday destination within regional, state, national and international market. See also the Destination Tourism Strategy 2012-2016
- Nova Scotia Tourism Division "... covers planning, development, marketing and operations for the tourism industry in Nova Scotia. Our staff works to provide tourism operators with the tools and support they need to run successful businesses." Includes Tourism Business Guides, tookits and Worksheets
- Tourism in the North East " Tourism in the North East is made up of four independent organisations, or partners: Northumberland Tourism, NewcastleGateshead Initiative, Visit County Durham and Tess Valley Unlimited ... [who] work closely together, as well as with national and international tourism bodies and associations, to promote the region to visitors and to facilitate tourism businesses to access research, training, business advice and marketing opportunities. Toolkits, case studies, research and more.
- Arizona Tourism University Toolkit "All Arizona Office of Tourism divisions conduct activities and programs, which tourism organizations around the state can also carry out to promote or gather information on their specific product or destination. These ATU Toolkits are designed to offer instruction and practical advice on tourism related activities. Use these toolkits as a guide and resource for developing the related activities as part of your overall tourism marketing plan."
- Toolkit on Poverty Reduction through Tourism "The toolkit outlines the background to poverty reduction approaches and how the International Labor Union (ILO) is involved within the context of decent work and the United Nations Millennium Development Goals. Recent developments in tourism and a vision for an inclusive, pro-poor tourism industry are summarized. A toolkit on poverty reduction through tourism has been produced. It aims at assisting developing and least developed countries to create a sustainable tourism industry and businesses based on decent employment. It is oriented towards SMEs and local communities in rural areas and includes case studies, training sessions and best practices. The toolkit illustrates the links between the ILO Decent Work Agenda, poverty reduction and the Millennium Development Goals." Available as a PDF download in English, Español: Français, Bahasa Indonesia, Português, tiéng Viet.
- Training and Tools for Tourism Professionals "Hotels, tour operators, travel agencies and wholesalers play a major role in influencing industry standards through the vacation packages they design and offer to their clients. The Rainforest Alliance works with major local and international tour operators around the world to promote ecologically and socially responsible best practices for tourism businesses in Latin America."
- Sustainable Tourism Toolkits Nine tourism toolkits from a set of courses on Sustainable Tourism that have been developed by USAID, The George Washington University, Solimar International, and other USAID Global Sustainable Tourism Alliance (GSTA) partners. These tookits are the collective result of compiling the lessons and best practices from the GSTA program and a host of other tourism development experiences from around the world."
- Tourism Yukon Tourism e-Library: Guides, Reports & Toolkits "... a wide-array of free downloadable resources that can help you to develop or expand your business. Browse through the most recent and relevant guides, reports and toolkits to obtain information about planning and development, marketing and promotions, and regional, national and international tourism."
- Tool Kits and Agritourism/Nature Tourism Planning Guides A comprehensive link list from the US Agricultural Marketing Center based at Iowa State University, going to tool kits and guides for nature based/community tourism and farmers wanting to diversify into agritourism.
Planning Toolkit - Tourism New Zealand. "The development of a Tourism Planning Toolkit for local government is a collaboration between the Ministry of Tourism, Local Government New Zealand and Lincoln University. The Toolkit brings together extensive existing information, as well as developing new resources, that will enable local government to improve tourism destination management in their areas." The PDF kit is a downloadable link now hosted at the Sport and Recreation Knowledge libarary.
Tourism Planning and Other Tourism Resources
A miscellaneous category for resources which don't really fit elsewhere,
including general tourism papers and strategies, and resources for
operators which could assist with interpretive and operational topics.
- Impacts of Trails & Trail Use Hosted by AmericanTrails.org "Studies of the impacts of trails and greenways, and research on adjacent landowner concerns and property values. Surveys of trail users, demographics, and outdoor recreation goals and activities." North American focus.
- Economic Impact of Trails Hosted by AmericanTrails.org A veritable feast of information is contained in this extensive link catalogue of economic studies, benefits, and tourism papers from around the world, covering rail trails, cycle and walking paths, scenic trails and more
Environmental Economics Unit
- Publications Index
to Value Environmental Resources:
an Introductory Handbook (1995)
"This guide complements
the existing literature by introducing
the techniques of valuation,
illustrating them with a wide
range of Australian examples
and indicating how to use the
techniques and the values to
make informed decisions. The
goal of this book is to assist
practitioners and non-practitioners
who need to appraise resource
use decisions and to aid effective
The Future (1996) Now archived the basic proinciples may still be of value. "An
evaluation of motivational,
property-right, and regulatory
incentives for the conservation
- Strategic Planning for Local Tourism Destinations:
An Analysis of Tourism "This paper
reports on a study of the planning practices
of local tourism destinations. The tourism
plans of 30 local tourism destinations in
Queensland, Australia were analyzed to determine
the extent to which sustainability principles,
namely strategic planning and stakeholder
participation, were integrated into the planning
process. Utilizing a tourism planning process
evaluation instrument developed by Simpson
(2001), it was found that local tourism destinations
are not integrating sustainability principles
in their planning processes." Page displays download link to PDF file (119kb) only.
- Hawai'i AgriTourism Association Promoting Sustainable Agriculture and Tourism in Hawai'i Hawaii Agtourism offers visitors opportunities to look behind the scenes, to experience more than just a sunny beach and the purchase of an Aloha shirt. With its natural beauty, warm weather, and renowned agricultural products (coffee, macadamia nuts, flowers, and tropical fruits of many kinds), Hawaii's small farms and rural communities offer an extraordinary array of memorable experiences.
- The Association
of Societies for Growing Australian Plants (ASGAP) A
very useful resource for Australian operators and tour
guides, with plant guide, propogation and links, amongst
- Hotel News Resource "...the leading online information and knowledge base for the hospitality & travel industries. From operations in the USA, Canada, Mexico and Germany the network aggregates and distributes content on behalf of 2,533 organisations and utilizing proprietary software provides it's partners with a real-time solution to access relevant industry intelligence serving their region, segment and demographic." Fast loading and comprehensive, it is "the source for hotel industry news". See also Hotel Resource Network for full B2B Network sites listings.
Net "... the
portal serves a worldwide audience of hospitality
professionals, providing them with both daily
updated content and interactive services.
The site offers industry news, multimedia
streamed features, discussion platforms, a recruitment
center, a supplier marketplace and several focus
areas in areas such as technology and sales & marketing." North
American focus, with good international depth.
Extensive industry resources, especially
market reports, events and industry links.
- Travel Weekly "is the market-leading magazine for the Australian travel industry, featuring news and analysis, career advice, training and product information, competitions and giveaways, new technology and online development, cruising, and leisure and business travel."
See also Industry
Associations and Societies, Newsgroups and Email lists, Search
Engines, Directories & Databases, Ecotourism
Papers & Articles, Tourism
Research Resources and Other Libraries