A directory of useful outdoor recreation, leisure and adventure sites, including codes of practice, operational guidelines, policies and safety management for educational, environmental and various outdoor and adventure activities.
SPACE.com Space Tourism To infinity and beyond! "Learn the latest news about space tourism and space tourist trips into outer space. SPACE.com looks at the growing business of space tourism." From SpaceX and Blue Origin, to Virgin Galactic and more, if you can't wait to "go where no-one has gone before", this is a first stop.
Sport and Recreation Knowledge Library "The Knowledge Library is for all those working or interested in sport and recreation in New Zealand – practitioners, researchers, students, policy makers and planners. Purpose of the Knowledge Library The Knowledge Library brings together in one repository New Zealand-based sport and recreation research ideas, and research projects – underway and completed."
Recreation Aotearoa "We are the voice of Recreation in Aotearoa, representing all professionals in the industry. We empower our members to deliver the quality Recreation experiences, places and facilities, that fuel a more active, healthy and connected NZ.." Download Guidelines, Peer Review, Benchmarking and Quality Toolkits, for aquatic, park, general outdoors and community facilities.
- Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA). "Established in 1990, the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA) today is widely recognized as a vital leadership voice and partner for the adventure travel industry around the world. The membership and trade organization is designed to be a force for the industry and exists to drive thought leadership, industry promotion, and opportunities to network and convene globally to create trade and business health. It currently serves more than 1,300 members in 100 countries worldwide. The constituency is made up of tour operators, tourism boards, specialty agents, and accommodations all sharing a vested interest in the sustainable development of adventure tourism."
- International Federation of Mountain Guides Associations ( IFMGA) "The IFMGA is the international umbrella for mountain guide associations from more than 20 countries in Europe, Asia, the Americas, and Oceania, representing a total of almost 6,000 guides. Each national association represents all of that country's mountain guides who are qualified according to IFMGA guideline."
- Peak to Peak Trail and Wilderness Links Hiking, Backpacking, Trail and Wilderness Web Sites. "The mission of Peak to Peak Trail and Wilderness Links™ is to provide visitors with a meta-site including links to other Web sites containing original content which is informative and useful to the online hiking, trail, walking, and Wilderness communities." Choose From Thousands of Trails and Hikes." If you want to find a new hiking challenge, there are plenty to choose from here, with coverage expanding worldwide. Old school, fast loading, effectivedesign. A must visit. Oceania - Peak to Peak Trail and Wilderness Links
Australia / New Zealand
- AdventurePro - Australia & New Zealand "Industry, Travel, Sports, Equipment, Employment, Education & Training NEWS from around the globe relevant to Aussie & Kiwi Outdoor Adventure." Excellent outdoor and adventure website, with extensive resources and operators information, along with a great newsletter.
- Australian Speleological Federation (Inc) A"SF Inc. is an Environmental Organisation, registered by the Department of the Environment and Energy in Canberra, with the primary objective of protecting the cave and karst environment of Australia. The ASF is also the national body that represents the interests of 24 caving clubs, over 800 members throughout Australia and represents Australia on the International Union of Speleology." Excellent web site, with clear links to information and resourses.
- Big Volcano School Camps and Outdoor Education Centres Links to web sites and phone directory of OECs and Outdoor recreation in the Byron Bay, Northern Rivers - Gold Coast hinterland region of NSW and QLD, Aaustralia.
- Bushwalking Australia "... is the National body representing the interests of bushwalkers and other recreational walkers. There are many issues affecting bushwalkers which extend beyond the boundaries of any one State or that require some level of national coordination or support. While many issues are confined to a local area, they are often repeated in adjacent areas. By joining together as a national organisation in Bushwalking Australia and developing a common approach, we hope to avoid having to re-invent the same wheel many times over."
- Cruisin' without Bruisin' - Code of Practice for Recreational Vehicle Users This code of practice for recreational vehicle users in Tasmania could be applied anywhere active recreational activities are allowed. "Four Wheel Driving Notesfor Tasmania - Code of Practice. ... This information has been produced for those people who love driving for recreation. It sets out a code of practice and complements the Policy for Recreational Vehicles on State-Owned Lands in Tasmania."
- Leave No Trace From the National Park Service of Tasmania, the information is aimed at bushwalkers (hikers, backpackers, trampers) who intend to camp out in Tassie's parks, but is good advise overall.
- New Zealand Mountain Guides"The New Zealand Mountain Guides Association (NZMGA) was formed in November 1974 to establish a consistent training programme for professional Mountain Guides in New Zealand. Its founding members drew on the wisdom of former guides thus ensuring the skills, knowledge and tradition gained from 100 years of guiding was not lost."
- The New Zealand Mountain Safety Council (MSC) "... is a national organisation with a mandate to encourage safe participation in land-based outdoor activities. It does this through the development and promotion of safety messaging, by identifying and responding to insights provided by the ongoing collection and analysis of data, and by building partnerships with relevant organisations."
- OceanWatch Australia: THE NATIONAL CODE OF PRACTICE FOR RECREATIONAL AND SPORT FISHING "The National Code of Practice for Recreational Fishing addresses four main themes with an emphasis on respect, responsibility and sustainability."
- Outdoors Victoria (OV) "Representing the Outdoors Sector of Victoria We support the people and organisations dedicated to facilitating sustainable, respectful outdoors experiences." Adventure Activity Standards (AAS) Index page with links to all Victorian Adventure Activity Standards, available to download in pdf.
The Americas / Europe
- Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education (AORE) "is the premier organization dedicated to serving the needs of recreation and education professionals in non-profit settings. Through AORE, members have a mechanism to interact with and affect decisions made by public land managers and the human powered outdoor recreation industry. AORE is committed to promoting ecologically sound stewardship of the natural environment and serves as a collective voice for its members regarding topics of regional and national concern." Research and papers are available to members
- American Hiking Society "We preserve trails by facilitating trail maintenance, protect natural spaces by advocating, and promote hiking by inspiring and equipping people to get out on the trail. As the only national voice for hiking, American Hiking Society envisions a world where every American has permanent access to a hiking trail."
- American Trails "... celebrates decades of working on behalf of all trail interests. Our website is one of the world's most comprehensive online sources for planning, building, designing, funding, managing, enhancing, and supporting trails, greenways, and blueways."
- American Whitewater "We put rivers first and use a science-based approach to protect what we love — whitewater rivers that represent our nation's headwaters. When we spend more time on rivers, we become better stewards and better advocates for their protection."
- American Mountain Guides Association "For over 30 years, the AMGA has been dedicated to supporting the guiding community through excellence in education, standards and certification to enhance the quality of services provided to the public, while serving as a resource for accessing and protecting the natural environment." The AMGA offers Programs: Courses & Certifications, memberships and advocacy.
- Tourism Policy and Research at Simon Fraser University An excellent Candaian focused resource, which, like many other university undergraduate web sites, is now somewhat out of date, but does comprise a comprehensive directory for tourism and outdoors related managment, planning, and promotion, with subjects ranging from agriculture, backcountry, cultural, and mountain tourism, through to marine, sports fishing, wine and winter tourism".
- Outdoor Access Scotland "Scottish access rights apply to most land and inland water. Whether you're enjoying fresh air in a local park, walking the dog, hillwalking, mountain biking, horse riding or kayaking, this is the place to find out about your access rights and responsibilities".
- Pacific Crest Trail Association "...is an eclectic band of trail junkies who champion the needs of the Pacific Crest Trail. From across the country and the world, our team travels throughout the mountain ranges of the American West to support the much larger PCT community in protecting, preserving and promoting the trail."
The Big Volcano Ecotourism Resource Centre (ERC) provides content free of charge, so that visitors, residents, businesses, students and teachers can access our resources.
Our site also includes advertising and affiliate links to products and services that you can buy online (at no extra cost to you).
If you visit a web site via an ad link, or make a purchase via an affiliate link, we get a small cut of the revenue. (Thank you.) By doing this, you help us to continue to deliver these resources to you, for free.